A hormone called DHEA, mostly secreted by the adrenal glands, may help women who are going through menopause and could also give them better sex lives, a study found late last year.
Italian researchers writing in the journal of the International Menopause Society, Climacteric, said they had found the first robust evidence that low doses of DHEA could help sexual function and menopausal symptoms, suggesting it may one day become an alternative to hormone replacement therapy.
But they stressed that the trial was small, so much bigger studies were needed to confirm the results.
DHEA, or dehydroepiandrosterone, is a natural steroid hormone mostly made in the adrenal glands and has various therapeutic uses.
HRT, a combination of the hormones oestrogen and progesterone, is an approved treatment for women going through menopause, who often experience unpleasant symptoms such as hot flushes, night sweats, loss of sex drive and mood swings.
- DHEA Helps Menopausal Symptoms And Sex Life (medicalnewstoday.com)
- DHEA May Help Sex, Symptoms After Menopause – WebMD (women.webmd.com)
- DHEA May Help Sex, Symptoms after Menopause (women.webmd.com)
- Hormone Might Ease Menopause, Boost Women’s Sex Life (nlm.nih.gov)
- Menopause: Hormone pill DHEA could ease hot flushes AND it give sex life a boost – Daily Mail (dailymail.co.uk)
- Menopause: Hormone pill DHEA could ease hot flushes AND it give sex life a boost (dailymail.co.uk)
- DHEA May Boost Older Women’s Sex Lives (drallisonhopkinsphd.wordpress.com)
- A happier menopause: Hormone pill could ease hot flushes AND it gives your sex life a boost (dailymail.co.uk)
- Is Cholesterol all evil? (drphyllisokereke.com)
- Dhea (10poundsin10days.wordpress.com)